A progressive metropolis for food, music, and culture in the heart of Texas
As the 11th most populous city in the United States, Austin is the thriving, vibrant, and beautiful capital city of Texas. Also known as the Live Music Capital of the World, you are free to create your own soundtrack in this bustling and dynamic city — enjoy over 326 square miles of diverse tunes, cuisines, shopping, and unique, small neighborhoods of Austin to create the dream life you’ve always wanted. With endless opportunities to experience the very best of Texas living, Austin is the perfect place for those seeking a diverse lifestyle in an energetic, artsy, and stimulating big city.
While many think of Austin as a sprawling metropolis, the city has pockets of neighborhoods that offer beautiful outdoor spaces. Hiking, biking, and camping are just a few of the favorite outdoor activities one can experience in Austin, and with its beautiful lakeside views, there is no shortage of picturesque natural wonders to explore.
The neighborhoods of Austin include:
- Downtown - home to innovative restaurants and located north of the University of Texas, Austin campus and home to endless performance spaces, historic theaters, hotels, and museums. Visit the famous Rainey Street, which is positively packed with fantastic restaurants and bars. You can easily spend a day shopping along 2nd Street, while W. 6th Street is the best place to catch a game at one of Austin’s best sports bars.
- North Central Austin - features award-winning breweries, shopping centers, and family-friendly spaces. Along Burnet Road, stop into Pinthouse Pizza for some beer and a slice, or visit The Peached Tortilla for some delicious tacos. If you’re craving some authentic Texas BBQ, you’ll find Stiles Switch BBQ along N. Lamar Boulevard. Of course, there’s also Hyde Park, where you can enjoy browsing Antonelli’s Cheese Shop.
- South Austin - the perfect mix of historic buildings fused with modern amenities and home to the funky South Lamar neighborhood, where you can visit the iconic Broken Spoke honky-tonk. Gamers will have a blast at East Riverside’s Cidercade, and you’ll definitely want to plan an afternoon at Secret Beach with the whole family.
- East Austin - one of the city’s biggest and most diverse neighborhoods with incredible dining options and a new beautiful planned development, Mueller. Get the authentic Austin Experience at Eastside’s The White Horse honky tonk or at la Barbecue. There are plenty of cute eateries, breweries, and coffee shops in this area, not to mention a brand-new Whole Foods and Target for all your shopping needs. Further east, check out the Austin Bouldering Project, a popular rock climbing gym with plenty of exciting classes!
- West Austin - the suburban/rural area of the city that offers rolling hills, expansive views, and the art galleries of the Clarksville Historic District and the affluent Tarrytown neighborhood.
What to Love
- Unlimited concerts, performances, and globally recognized festivals like Austin City Limits
- The internationally renowned SXSW festival, featuring conferences, events, parties, and musical performances
- Ultimate city living mixed with laid-back, natural spaces to create the best of both worlds within one city
- Unique dining and shopping options from upscale luxury retailers to locally owned and operated boutiques
Never a dull moment in this inexhaustible city, residents of Austin have many choices when it comes to settling down in a specific neighborhood. A welcoming city in general, the neighborhoods of Austin are loaded with community spirit, unique characteristics, and diverse housing options. Enjoy electric apartments downtown, venture to the suburbs for sprawling single-family homes with yards, or consider a luxury home in one of the most desirable communities. For those who appreciate culture, innovative businesses, and an unsurpassed culinary scene, Austin is the perfect place to call home.
Dining, Entertainment, and Shopping
To choose our favorite dining destinations is an impossible task, as Austin is overflowing with the most incredible culinary masterpieces on this side of the Mississippi River. Texas may be the biggest state, but Austin has the biggest concentration of diverse dining options in the country. Here are a few of our go-to destinations to curb every craving and satisfy every palate:
- Ramen Tatsu-ya has three locations throughout Austin and is the best spot for Japanese soul food.
- Home Slice Pizza serves authentic, homemade New York-style pizza by the pie or the slice.
- Guero’s Taco Bar serves hand-shaken margaritas, the best tacos in town, and features live music from Wednesday through Sunday.
- Jo’s Coffee has several locations throughout the city and is a local favorite spot in each neighborhood. Jo’s serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner in addition to their outrageously good coffee.
The entertainment scene is just as expansive and diverse as its culinary one. After all, Austin is the Live Music Capital of the World! The Continental Club, a historic landmark and one of the oldest continuously running clubs in all of Austin, is the premier club for country, rockabilly, swing, rock, and blues every night of the week. The Skylark Lounge is one of Austin’s favorite dive bars for live music. Showcasing local talent, the Skylark Lounge is a cool spot to enjoy the sultry tones of blues and jazz and enjoy an ice-cold drink.
If you’d like to mix up your evening and try your hand (or your voice) at karaoke, then Ego’s is the place for you! The best karaoke bar in the city, Ego’s is a welcoming community that makes you feel like you could release an album — the supportive and encouraging staff create the best environment to show off your pipes and let your confidence soar while rocking to your favorite tunes. Ego’s also has a great bar menu and arcade games.
Let’s not forget the shopping opportunities in Austin. Taking the world by storm, the famous YETI Flagship Store is located on South Congress Avenue downtown and a few other favorite destinations include Allens Boots for the best country western attire and Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds, an 8,000 square-foot emporium of costumes for all occasions. Austin is also home to hundreds of vintage stores and gift shops scattered throughout the city, especially in the North Loop neighborhood.
Things to Do
Zilker Park is the most-loved park in Austin. For over 100 years, the 250-acre park has brought joy to residents and tourists of Austin and continues to inspire the city with new performance spaces, trails, and music festivals. Located within Zilker Park, Barton Springs Pool is a three-acre pool with an average temperature of 70 degrees, making it the perfect spot for year-round swimming. The pool has welcomed over 800,000 people to its shores in the last few years alone.
Lady Bird Lake is a river-like reservoir on the Colorado River across from Zilker Park. The Lake isn’t suitable for swimming, but the banks are home to some of the best concerts in Austin throughout the year. Rent a kayak or a rowboat to enjoy the river views during the summer.
Visit Lake Austin Spa and Resort for a weekend getaway along the outskirts of the city. “Where wellness meets the water,” Lake Austin Spa and Resort is voted the #3 Destination Spa Resort in the United States by the esteemed Condé Nast Traveler magazine and features luxury amenities, dining, and recreational activities on the resort’s grounds. With over 100 different spa treatments, it’s no wonder Lake Austin has become a popular destination to unwind!
An Austin tradition since 1948, Peter Pan Mini Golf is a family-friendly golfing experience that has become a local landmark. Enjoy an evening of putt-putt with the family or rent the space for a private event.